8 oz self raising flour
2oz castor sugar
4oz margarine or butter
1 or 2 handfuls of sultanas
1 or 2 eggs depending on mixture
Makes around 10-12
– Sieve flour into bowl, then add margarine or butter, rub in finely together.
– Add sugar and sultanas and mix.
– Add 1 egg and mix. The consistency needs to be bound together, so if too dry add another egg.
– Roll out on a floured board, to about a quarter inch thick.
– Cut using a 2 inch (approx) cutter, then cook on a greased pan, or bake stone, on a medium heat for about 4 to 5 minutes each side.
– The exact cooking length will depend on what you are cooking your Welsh cakes on, but keep a close eye – too short a period and they won’t be cooked in middle, and cooked for too long and they will be dry. When touched during cooking they should feel springy, but not wet to the touch (no mixture should come out of the middle).
– Once cooked dust with castor sugar and enjoy.