Along with our Guinness Stew from last week, we need to add a side dish. This traditional one from Kristine Dunne Maher makes my mouth water!
4 lbs Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
1 ½ lb Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
1 ¼ cups Water
1 cup Milk
1 Green onion bunch, chopped
¾ cup Unsalted butter, room temperature
Chopped fresh chives or green onion tops
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pot and mash with potato masher. Set aside.
- Combine cabbage and water in heavy large skillet. Boil until almost all liquid evaporates, tossing cabbage frequently, about 15 minutes. Mix cabbage into mashed potatoes.
- Combine milk, green onions and ½ cup butter in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to melt butter. Pour over potato mixture and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Note: can be made up to 2 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature. Before continuing, rewarm over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Mound mashed potatoes in bowl. Make well in center. Place remaining /4 cup butter in well. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve.