My friend Kristine Dunne Maher, has pulled out all the stops with this Trifle from Nana. Her Nana, Maureen Molloy Dunne from County Roscommon, Ireland creates a work of art in this traditional dessert.
Pound cake loaf
Vanilla pudding mix (not instant)
1 ½ cups Milk
½ cup Sherry
1 large can Fruit Cocktail, drained (or can make fruit cocktail with variety of fruits including grapes and peaches)
1 pint Heavy cream, whipped
Optional: sliced kiwi and mandarin orange sections
Optional: fresh fruit garnish for top
- Slice pound cake loaf into ½ inch thick slices.
- Put one layer of cake slices to cover bottom of clear glass bowl. Spread ½ fruit cocktail over slices, making sure they completely cover cake layer and go to sides of the bowl.
- If want to for decoration, can stand up again edge of bowl slices of kiwi and mandarin organ sections, alternating between the two for decoration.
- Cook pudding according to package directions but using 1 ½ cup milk and ½ cup sherry instead of all milk. Bring to a boil. Spoon some of the hot pudding over the fruit and cake layer.
- Put on another layer of cake slices. Spread raspberry jam over cake. Top with slices bananas. Spoon more hot pudding over this layer, making sure it goes to the edges.
- Put on 3rd layer of cake slices. Spread with remaining fruit cocktail. Pour remaining pudding over this layer.
- Best if made the day before or early in the day, then refrigerate until time to serve.
- Wait until pudding is cooled until spread top with whipped cream (can wait until serving). Can garnish with fresh fruit if desired.
[Kristine Dunne Maher from her Nana, Maureen Molloy Dunne, from County Roscommon, Ireland]